[Asterisk-Users] Bandwidth control on a home office network

Adam Holt adamholt at mac.com
Sat Oct 16 08:39:19 MST 2004

Hi,

I have a Grandstream ATA today connected to my 750k broadband
connection via an older router / firewall that doesn't have any QoS /
ToS capability.  It works fine apart from the obvious problem of when
large emails come in or somebody else on the network starts d/l-ing
something big off the web.

I'm wondering whether to swap the router for a Cisco in order to
introduce some local bandwidth control.

Alternatively I was wondering if I picked up a Cisco 7960 handset
instead - is the 2nd ethernet port routed through the device, or does
it just act as an Ethernet repeater, i.e. if I arranged the handset in
the network as below would I get bandwidth prioritisation for the 7960?

[CABLE MODEM]------[7960]-------[FW / ROUTER / HUB]--------[REST OF MY
NETWORK]

Thanks for any tips.

BR /adam.