[Asterisk-Users] Bandwidth control on a home office network

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Sat Oct 16 08:49:53 MST 2004

Adam Holt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Grandstream ATA today connected to my 750k broadband connection
> via an older router / firewall that doesn't have any QoS / ToS
> capability.  It works fine apart from the obvious problem of when large
> emails come in or somebody else on the network starts d/l-ing something
> big off the web.
>
> I'm wondering whether to swap the router for a Cisco in order to
> introduce some local bandwidth control.
>
> Alternatively I was wondering if I picked up a Cisco 7960 handset
> instead - is the 2nd ethernet port routed through the device, or does it
> just act as an Ethernet repeater, i.e. if I arranged the handset in the
> network as below would I get bandwidth prioritisation for the 7960?
>
> [CABLE MODEM]------[7960]-------[FW / ROUTER / HUB]--------[REST OF MY
> NETWORK]
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> BR /adam.

	The Cisco 7960 does QoS by setting TOS bits.  Furthermore, it works
best when used with other Cisco switches (especially ones with the new
AutoQoS feature). You need something that can understand those, back to
your original router problem.

	If you are in the US, you can pickup a Linksys WRT54GS for well under
$100 that you can do an amazing amount of things on.  You can now even
do QoS with the Linksys firmware, although alternative firmware
(Sveasoft, OpenWRT, etc.) is more fun.

	A cisco router would work, but I don't think that you need to blow that
much money for a home router, especially when the Linksys WRT's are so
much fun!

	I actually don't know if any of the LinkSys firmware understands ToS,
but you can do Qos and bandwidth shaping using other means.  Check it out.

--
Kristian Kielhofner