[Asterisk-Users] Re: Advice on OS Choice

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Oct 15 10:25:33 MST 2004

> In our last exciting episode, Kevin Walsh (kevin at cursor.biz) said:
> > Perhaps "steal" was a bit harsh then.  Maybe I should have said Apple,
> > Microsoft and others "close the source with no compensation nor
> > recognition given to the original authors, as allowed by the stupid BSD
> > license."  It's the authors' fault really.  They live and learn.
> > Perhaps they'll use the GPL next time.
> >
> The BSD license says nothing about compensation; have you read it lately?
>
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
>  * are met:
>  * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>
> Nope, not in there. Sorry.

Perhaps you should have read my article before rushing to respond.
If you did then you'd notice the "as allowed by the stupid BSD license"
part.

> You are mocking software authors who make a CONSCIOUS choice to use the
> BSD license (or other BSD-style licenses) by calling it "stupid". Perhaps
> they are uncomfortable with some of the restrictions imposed by the GPL?

The original author would have no "restrictions" imposed upon them.
The "restriction" applies to people who would like to close the source
and incorporate it into a preparatory, closed source, product.

Perhaps you'd be happy to see Asterisk released under a BSD license,
rather than the GPL.  Perhaps you'd also be happy to see a "Microsoft
PBX" with "embrace and extend" features and a future defacto standard
closed-source MS-IAX protocol.  The GPL prevents this and thereby
protects software freedom, the BSD license would not.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz