[Asterisk-Users] Re: Advice on OS Choice

Jason T. Nelson jtn at jtn.cx
Fri Oct 15 12:20:36 MST 2004

In our last exciting episode, Kevin Walsh (kevin at cursor.biz) said:
> Perhaps you should have read my article before rushing to respond.
> If you did then you'd notice the "as allowed by the stupid BSD license"
> part.

Okay, then I suppose my question is, if it is allowed, why do you care?
Who is actually being hurt here?

> Perhaps you'd be happy to see Asterisk released under a BSD license,
> rather than the GPL.  Perhaps you'd also be happy to see a "Microsoft
> PBX" with "embrace and extend" features and a future defacto standard
> closed-source MS-IAX protocol.  The GPL prevents this and thereby
> protects software freedom, the BSD license would not.

How has either case diminished the Asterisk project, or its authors, in any
way? In what way is the software "freer" than it would be under any other
open source license? The code is still there, you are free to use it, nobody
can lock it away and prevent you from using it. You still have the code. Who
says that this mythical MS-IAX solution would become a future de facto
standard? Your argument is weak. Let products stand on their own, or do you
perhaps believe that Asterisk could not stand on its own merit?

--
Jason T. Nelson <jtn at jtn.cx>                     http://www.jtn.cx/~jtn/
BOFH Extraordiaire & Sysadmin Ombudsman               GPG key 0xFF676C9E