[Asterisk-Users] Re: Advice on OS Choice

Jason T. Nelson jtn at jtn.cx
Fri Oct 15 09:09:52 MST 2004

In our last exciting episode, Kevin Walsh (kevin at cursor.biz) said:
> Perhaps "steal" was a bit harsh then.  Maybe I should have said Apple,
> Microsoft and others "close the source with no compensation nor
> recognition given to the original authors, as allowed by the stupid BSD
> license."  It's the authors' fault really.  They live and learn.  Perhaps
> they'll use the GPL next time.

The BSD license says nothing about compensation; have you read it lately?

 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Nope, not in there. Sorry.

You are mocking software authors who make a CONSCIOUS choice to use the
BSD license (or other BSD-style licenses) by calling it "stupid". Perhaps
they are uncomfortable with some of the restrictions imposed by the GPL?

--
Jason T. Nelson <jtn at jtn.cx>                     http://www.jtn.cx/~jtn/
GPG key fingerprint = 6272 5482 EDDD D0A3 FED2  262A FABB 599D FF67 6C9E