[Asterisk-Users] Re: Advice on OS Choice

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Oct 15 10:18:41 MST 2004

Tony Mountifield [tony at softins.clara.co.uk] wrote:
> Kevin Walsh <kevin at cursor.biz> wrote:
> > That's not up to them to decide.  Under the GPL, if you distribute
> > modified code then you must publish your enhancements for the benefit
> > of all.  The team responsible for the core code can decide whether the
> > contributed code is "appropriate for distribution."
> >
> That's not how I understand the GPL. My understanding is that the GPL
> gives me the freedom to take some GPLed code, modify it, and distribute
> the modified code to whomsoever I choose, for free or for a payment.  I
> must also make the source code freely available (on request, if I prefer)
> to anyone to whom I distribute binaries.
>
> It does *not* compel me to distribute my version to everyone, but I also
> cannot prevent those people I give or sell it to from passing it on in
> binary and/or source form to anyone else if they choose to.

Ok.  You're not obliged to submit your modifications back to the core
project, although it is polite to attempt to do so.  You are obliged
to provide (or make available) the full source to both the original
project and your modifications, to whomever you distribute your
version.  Your modifications might make it back into the "official
version", or they might not - that decision would be up to the core
team to decide.

Your understanding of the GPL appears to be correct, and I'm glad to
see that it doesn't contradict my understanding.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz