[Asterisk-Users] Re: Advice on OS Choice

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 09:56:21 MST 2004

In article <00a001c4b2cb$f2461180$020110ac at majestic.internal.office.cursor.biz>,
Kevin Walsh <kevin at cursor.biz> wrote:
> That's not up to them to decide.  Under the GPL, if you distribute
> modified code then you must publish your enhancements for the benefit
> of all.  The team responsible for the core code can decide whether the
> contributed code is "appropriate for distribution."

That's not how I understand the GPL. My understanding is that the GPL
gives me the freedom to take some GPLed code, modify it, and distribute
the modified code to whomsoever I choose, for free or for a payment.  I
must also make the source code freely available (on request, if I prefer)
to anyone to whom I distribute binaries.

It does *not* compel me to distribute my version to everyone, but I also
cannot prevent those people I give or sell it to from passing it on in
binary and/or source form to anyone else if they choose to.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield