[Asterisk-Users] Embedded Asterisk System (was QoS Router/Software Suggestions)

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Wed Oct 13 11:36:09 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Geoff Nordli wrote:
>
>> Is this where we get to vote for our favorite router software?  I
>> choose Bering-uClibc
>>
> (http://leaf.sourceforge.net/mod.php?mod=userpage&menu=910&pag
> e_id=36).  It
>> comes with a ton of packages, and you can easily configure it to
>> boot from HDD, or Compact Flash.  Of course it also comes with
>> QOS/Traffic Shaping support.  Plus all the VPN options (IPSEC, PPTP,
>> OpenVPN).
>>
>> I have been thinking before about adding an * package to it so you
>> could deploy it remotely and not worry about SIP problems.  I have
>> heard there are problems building Asterisk with uClibc.
>
> Well, yeah. ;)
>
> But.. on another note, I just had what could amount to a
> brain-fart, or a
> good idea depending on how you look at it. There are some big
> issues with
> getting Asterisk to compile using uClibc rather than Libc,
> but if we could
> take the initial step of actually getting CVS Head to build cleanly
> against uClibc, these patches could be integrated back into
> the source
> tree making Asterisk more portable to embedded platforms.
> Sure, running
> uClibc on a Soekris or Via which have MMU's is not the same as a MIPS
> w/out an MMU, but it would be an important first step.

BTW they also provide Glibc-2.0.7, Glibc-2.2.5 libraries that can be used
for compatibility.

It would be a great idea to have Asterisk boot from Compact Flash.  You
could easily fit everything on 32MB flash card, and then you could add
capacity for voicemail.

Any idea on how much space one would need for voicemail with wav support?  A
512 MB CF card is 85$ US at Sandisk.com.  You can buy an IDE to CF adapter
for around 15$US.

When Bering boots it loads everything into a RAM based filesystem.  Anyone
see any drawbacks in running an * system using a RAM based file system and
booting from CF?  If you needed additional capacity for VM you could add an
IDE drive.  The benefits to not using an IDE drive would mean one less
mechanical device prone to failure.

Geoff