[Asterisk-Users] Embedded Asterisk System (was QoS Router/Software Suggestions)

Scott Lykens slykens at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 13:46:17 MST 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:36:09 -0700, Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> wrote:

> When Bering boots it loads everything into a RAM based filesystem.  Anyone
> see any drawbacks in running an * system using a RAM based file system and
> booting from CF?  If you needed additional capacity for VM you could add an
> IDE drive.  The benefits to not using an IDE drive would mean one less
> mechanical device prone to failure.

You'll want some way to keep CDR records if you need them. I wouldn't
replace the IDE drive for VM with a CF as you might run into a CF
failure to due excessive writes per sector. It seems CFs are good for
something on the order of 10k writes per sector, a number that might
be deceptively easy to achieve.

Now, booting from CF and writing CDR back once (or a few times) per
day might be a worthwhile solution while using a remote * or disk for
VM. Of course an IBM 1 GB Microdrive is on the order of $175 or so and
would provide the ability to run the OS, * and VM all from disk
without worry or kludge.

sl