[Asterisk-Users] QoS Router/Software Suggestions

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Oct 13 05:19:23 MST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Geoff Nordli wrote:

> Is this where we get to vote for our favorite router software?  I choose
> Bering-uClibc
> (http://leaf.sourceforge.net/mod.php?mod=userpage&menu=910&page_id=36).  It
> comes with a ton of packages, and you can easily configure it to boot from
> HDD, or Compact Flash.  Of course it also comes with QOS/Traffic Shaping
> support.  Plus all the VPN options (IPSEC, PPTP, OpenVPN).
>
> I have been thinking before about adding an * package to it so you could
> deploy it remotely and not worry about SIP problems.  I have heard there are
> problems building Asterisk with uClibc.

Well, yeah. ;)

But.. on another note, I just had what could amount to a brain-fart, or a
good idea depending on how you look at it. There are some big issues with
getting Asterisk to compile using uClibc rather than Libc, but if we could
take the initial step of actually getting CVS Head to build cleanly
against uClibc, these patches could be integrated back into the source
tree making Asterisk more portable to embedded platforms. Sure, running
uClibc on a Soekris or Via which have MMU's is not the same as a MIPS
w/out an MMU, but it would be an important first step.

                             KP-216-121-ST