[Asterisk-Users] QoS Router/Software Suggestions

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Tue Oct 12 20:49:22 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Try m0n0wall.  http://m0n0.ch/wall/. Runs on cheapo old PC with dual
> NICs or Soekris embedded platfroms. Very nice traffic shaping/QoS.
>
> Michael
>
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:00:24 -0500, Matthew Boehm wrote:
>
>> I've got a Linksys BEFSR41 at home with RoadRunner service. I'm
>> pretty sure it doesn't do QoS. I'm using WinXP Pro and not sure if
>> it does QoS. I'm using SJ Phone and...(follow the pattern).
>>
>> I have to stop all network traffic on my machine if I want to have
>> any hopes of making a clear call. But I shouldn't need to do that,
>> right? Because somewhere the data packets should be getting queued
>> and my voice packets should be having top priority right?
>>
>> How can I ensure this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matthew

Is this where we get to vote for our favorite router software?  I choose
Bering-uClibc
(http://leaf.sourceforge.net/mod.php?mod=userpage&menu=910&page_id=36).  It
comes with a ton of packages, and you can easily configure it to boot from
HDD, or Compact Flash.  Of course it also comes with QOS/Traffic Shaping
support.  Plus all the VPN options (IPSEC, PPTP, OpenVPN).

I have been thinking before about adding an * package to it so you could
deploy it remotely and not worry about SIP problems.  I have heard there are
problems building Asterisk with uClibc.

Have a great day!

Geoff