[Asterisk-Users] Control Panel

Bill Seddon bill.seddon at lyquidity.com
Tue Oct 12 15:42:09 MST 2004

Peter

Here are a few comments that may help though you maybe aware of them
already.

The act of delivering the information you want to a web page can be
distributed quite extensively.  There are three server components to
consider:

Asterisk
Manager API
Webserver

Separating Asterisk and the web server is, perhaps obvious.  That is, the
Manager API operations can be called from any process that has TCP/IP access
to the Asterisk server.  This might be a process on the same machine as
Asterisk or another machine completely.

The separation of the Manager API is included as, like the Flash operator
panel, access to the Manager API can be through a proxy.  The proxy can be
on the server running Asterisk, on the web server or on a third server.  The
advantage of the proxy is that Asterisk is servicing just one connection
with the proxy rather than lots of independent user connection.  Of course
the web server script will communicate with asterisk via the proxy.  As you
may know, a simple proxy (based on the Flash operator panel proxy) is
available from the Wiki at
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Manager+Proxy

I guess what I'm saying is that the load can be distributed widely (and
specifically away from your asterisk server).  With suitable distribution of
the three server components, there should be almost no additional load on
the asterisk server.

Finally, you mention using javascript to request updates every 10 seconds.
However there is a degree of complexity and maintenance with that option.
Obviously you know your requirements, but a possible alternative is to
present the call status information in an <IFRAME> within a page on your CRM
web site.  You can then use the meta tag:

To update the page in a "traditional" way every 10 seconds and no special
client-side code is required.

Good luck

Bill Seddon