[Asterisk-Users] Intel Modem vs Digium Cards

Chad Scott chad at idworld.net
Tue Oct 12 07:48:56 MST 2004

On Oct 10, 2004, at 10:08 AM, Wolf Paul wrote:

> "dean collins" <dean at collins.net.pr> wrote:

> However, those of us not working with hefty corporate budgets may not
> have the option of spending
> $100 for a test machine when there's a more cost effective option
> available.

I'd seriously suggest, in your situation, that you just forgo
connectivity to the PSTN altogether for testing.  Grab a soft phone,
such as X-Lite or gnophone, and experiment with the dialplan and
features that way.

If you want to go further, you can invest in an E1 card and the E1s to
go with it.

> If that warrants "don't come asking for support" then you guys are not
> much of a community but a sales
> machine for Digium.

I think it's more that past experience has shown us that the Digium
hardware just works out of the box with a minimum of effort.  They've
done a very good job on both the hardware and the drivers to talk to
it.  You're welcome to use whatever you want (that's the beauty of
Asterisk!) but you'll have *far* less trouble with a Digium board.