[Asterisk-Users] Vonage, PSTN, 911, and hardware question

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Sun Oct 10 07:46:58 MST 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Rajeev Sharma wrote:

> Anyway, that double-pole-double-throw relay looks like just the right thing. If I'm understanding
> right, the relay design that Henry Devito sent me is the exact same thing as the Viking PF-6A. So,
> has anyone had experience with these things? Are they easy to build? (This is a home project, so
> things don't have to be professional.) Any tips? Right now I'm thinking of trying to build something
> out of this $1.25 12VDC relay (I believe Henry said it had to be 12V):
> http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=500&item=RLY-87&type=store

I can't find any datasheet for that part anywhere.. Anyway, any DPDT relay
would work. You'll need a power source suitable for the coil's rating
(voltage) on the relay. It's probably better, actually, if you dig around
in your junk computer parts for an orphan wall-wart power adapter. When
you find one, see what its output voltage is (find one with a DC output).
Then get a DPDT relay with a coil voltage to match. Wire the wall-wart
directly to the coil terminals and plug it in. (before doing so, maybe
wire on the phone connectors as well)

Greg