[Asterisk-Users] spandsp 0.0.2

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Oct 4 04:21:52 MST 2004

Nick Barnes wrote:

>Steve Underwood
>

>>If you download pre3 it should be OK.
>>

>Installing it on Slack 10 with libtiff-3.6.1 produced a garbage-filled tiff
>when used with www.tpc.int. I imagined that this version wasn't patched, so
>I installed libtiff-3.7.0 (beta 2) which, according to some of the pages
>seems to address these problems. I recompiled spandsp and asterisk and
>checked that the modules were all linked to 3.7.0, but I still get the same
>garbage in the tiff.

The libtiff 3.6.1 in most distributions should have been patched. The
patches have existed for months. They should certainly be in 3.7.0. I
doubt that is the problem. www.tpc.int says it uses HylaFAX. One of the
tests I do is HylaFAX through an old USR Sportster modem to a Digium
TDM400P port. That seems to work OK.

>Trying from a local fax machine (which can fax the outside world with no
>problems) connected to a Sipura 2000 and using alaw, it all goes horribly
>wrong - the negotiation tones sound corrupted and nasty and it fails to send
>at all.

If the tones are audibly distorted something must be configured
incorrectly. Could the codecs be mixed up somehow? mixing up ulaw and
alaw sounds recognisable but rather distorted.

Regards,
Steve