[Fwd: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Adit 600 channel bank in UK setting]

Peter Hoppe peter at radioworldwide.org
Mon Nov 29 12:12:53 MST 2004

Jon,

I actually had some more discussions with Tim on this issue, and it seems that the channel bank
would still be a good option to choose for internal purposes. I would not see any other solution
than a channel bank to connect many 2wire phones into one asterisk box. I had a talk today with
Carrier Access, and it seems that the adit would do us fine. The fxs cards of the adit 600 are
actually reprogrammable for uk phones (dip switches). We have requested a test platform from CAC
which I hope would arrive here shortly, and we would test how the fxs ports work with different uk
phones.

I would really be unhappy to scratch our existing phone cable network and to lay an entire new LAN
and to buy many IP phones. First of all - new installations always have teething problems. Then the
admin headache with the many IP phones. Also - the solution doesn't scale very easily. For each new
phones we need a new network socket... or a hub. Then one mains connection per phone (with power
supply - more fire risk). And on and on... Using 2wire phones eliminates all that - cables are there
already, users can buy any phone they like, we can put in additional sockets without admin effort
and so on. Really - 2wire rocks!

The pstn connectivity is an entirely different matter. The fxo cards of the adit600 seem not to be
EU approved for public ( = pstn) connection (mainly) because of emission regulations. Also, I would
not be sure how well the impedances of the fxo ports and the BT lines match (Echo problem, noise
etc.). I am looking into using a voip gateway with fxo ports for our BT line connectivity. I found
one on sale on a UK website, see

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-November/075118.html

However, it looks to me more and more that for our internal phones we use the adit 600. Lets see
what the testing will show...

Peter

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world,