[Fwd: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Adit 600 channel bank in UK setting]

Jon Lawrence jon at lawrence.org.uk
Mon Nov 29 12:56:21 MST 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 19:12, Peter Hoppe wrote:
> Jon,
>
> I actually had some more discussions with Tim on this issue, and it seems
> that the channel bank would still be a good option to choose for internal
> purposes. I would not see any other solution than a channel bank to connect
> many 2wire phones into one asterisk box. I had a talk today with Carrier
> Access, and it seems that the adit would do us fine. The fxs cards of the
> adit 600 are actually reprogrammable for uk phones (dip switches). We have
> requested a test platform from CAC which I hope would arrive here shortly,
> and we would test how the fxs ports work with different uk phones.

I'd be interested if you could report back to the list with your findings.

> I would really be unhappy to scratch our existing phone cable network and
> to lay an entire new LAN and to buy many IP phones. First of all - new
> installations always have teething problems. Then the admin headache with
> the many IP phones. Also - the solution doesn't scale very easily. For each
> new phones we need a new network socket... or a hub. Then one mains
> connection per phone (with power supply - more fire risk). And on and on...
> Using 2wire phones eliminates all that - cables are there already, users
> can buy any phone they like, we can put in additional sockets without admin
> effort and so on. Really - 2wire rocks!

Wiring isn't my problem - all our connections are over cat5e. In our building
we rent out most of the offices, the clients provide their own phones and we
simply provide the lines. Some of their phones look pretty expensive, so I'd
rather not tell them that they can't use them anymore.
As with any office scenario power sockets are an issue - people never put
enough in when they design the rooms.

> The pstn connectivity is an entirely different matter.

Our connection is via pri so this isn't  a great issue.

Jon