[Asterisk-Users] Phone Selection

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Sun Nov 28 18:22:35 MST 2004

Rich Adamson wrote:

>  I'd certainly agree on the IP500. Got one sitting in front of me
>  right now. Works great, but learning curve on configurations is
>  greater then the Cisco's partially because all config parameters are
>  in xml format

I agree, the configuration files are hard to learn, but they are very
powerful if mastered.

>  (and I can only edit with vi), and trying to find parameters that
>  accomplish a needed function is a little difficult.

Having passed the Polycom certification tests for Soundpoint IP (that's
a little joke to anybody who's taken them :-)), I can tell you that
Polycom recommends a free program called XML Notepad from Microsoft to
edit the files.

>  Also had problems with a brand new phone; couldn't download software
>  directly (only supported through authorized resellers). Polycom
>  overnighted last Tuesday; haven't seen it yet. Support is almost
>  patterned after Cisco.

My experience has been that their first level support and RMA process
are adequate.  Not much more, not much less.  But the phones themselves
are very solid pieces of equipment and very reliable.  I'd take them
over Cisco any day, since they're so much cheaper for the same or
similar hardware.  I've been especially happy with the speakerphone.  I
also like them because they look like business phones, not something you
bought for $10 at Radio Shack (*cough* Grandstream *cough*).

Nick