[Asterisk-Users] Phone Selection

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Nov 28 17:20:10 MST 2004

> > > I'm looking at the Sayson 480i or the Cisco CP-7960. Which one would you
> > > suggest and why please ?
> >
> > I "briefly" tested the 480i a couple of weeks ago. Had a problem in that it
> > would not use the tftp server address contained in the dhcp response, so
> > had to define everything from the keypad to make it work. The quality of
> > the audio was good, the speakerphone function worked, and all other very
> > basic phone functions that I tried (not an expensive test at all) worked
> > as expected. There seemed to be a lot of "this function will be implemented
> > in a later software release" kind of thing going on. I did not write down
> > the s/w version that it was running, but I do remember there were two
> > additional releases available after the one I had. I would not deploy this
> > phone in large quantities at this time as they would be a support nightmare.
> > For small quantities, not a bad phone at all. That's about all I can tell
> > you on it.
> >
> > I use a 7960 for day to day business use and like it very well. It feels
> > like a phone, works like a phone, excellent speakerphone, and continues
> > to function well. Probably a little over priced these days. I'll stay with
> > it for now.
> >
> > You should probably dig through the wiki as I'm sure there is more detail
> > there on lots of different phones.
> >
> > Rich
> >

> Someone once told me that he would never consider using a SIP phone
> unless it had been through several software releases / revisions.  In
> my experience, this kind of thinking seems to work well.  For example,
> this 480i is relatively new to the market, having only been out less
> than a year.  Bugs are probably still being worked out, features still
> to be implemented, and with those features, more bugs.
>
> I'd recommend the Cisco 7940/7960 series phones.  Another phone I've
> been impressed with so far, although haven't tested extensively is the
> Polycom Soundpoint IP500.  It seems to be a solid phone, with a
> feature set that gives Cisco a run for its money.

I'd certainly agree on the IP500. Got one sitting in front of me right
now. Works great, but learning curve on configurations is greater then
the Cisco's partially because all config parameters are in xml format
(and I can only edit with vi), and trying to find parameters that
accomplish a needed function is a little difficult. Also had problems
with a brand new phone; couldn't download software directly (only
supported through authorized resellers). Polycom overnighted last
Tuesday; haven't seen it yet. Support is almost patterned after Cisco.