[Asterisk-Users] SIP Phones-Receptionist Setup

Carmi Weinzweig carmi-asterisk-users at jimiscool.com
Thu Nov 25 12:24:27 MST 2004

On Nov 25, 2004, at 12:37 PM, Gregory Junker wrote:

>> I would like you to name one PBX that does not support this behavior?
>> Every system from Avaya including their Definity, Merlin Legend,
>> Merlin Magix, Partner, and their new IP based PBXes support it, as do
>> those from Mitel, Nortel, InteCom and every other system that I have
>> ever used. A typical example is a manager/admin setup that works as
>> follows:
>
> Partner is not a PBX, it is a key system.

Correct and the Legend/Magix are hybrid systems, but all of Avaya's
systems including their current PBX systems (Definity) and their
previous PBX versions (System 75 and System 85) support this
functionality. The example that I gave comes directly from a company
that uses a Definity.

> The Definity PBX does not directly provide key functionality.

Then by your definition, this must not be key functionality as it is
supported on the Definity (again, anyone that is interested in visiting
several companies in the SF bay area, Chicagoland, Los Angeles or
Orlando to see it in action, let me know and I will happily arrange a
demo).

> I can't speak to Merlin, not having used it myself.

I use a Merlin Legend as my primary phone system now and I can say that
it supports this in just the same way as the Definity does.

Again, note that I am not asking to display trunk status, just
extension status, and to allow a user to place a call on hold on one
phone and pick it up on another (that has that shared extension).

> That said, Asterisk is a PBX like Definity, and should not support
> this.

Again, Definity already supports this, so why should Asterisk not do so?