[Asterisk-Users] How to make/recieve call using asterisk when thereis a power failure?

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Thu Nov 25 03:53:43 MST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Alex Barnes wrote:

> Sorry I dont have any answers, however I do have a question.
>
> I was told that ISDN-30 lines do not work during power failure.  Can
> anyone with some better knowledge confirm or deny this?
> Is this because the ISDN-30 box on the wall requires power (and Telco
> providers just dont hook them into UPS as standard)?
> Or do they mean if your local circuit has lost power so will the local
> digital exchange that provides your ISDN-30?

They work just fine if your pstn provider is at all serious. If not,
switch. They don't belong in the pstn business anyway.

An E1 termination can require local power. In that case you will have to
provide backup power to it. Some get their power from the central office,
in which case this is not a problem.

> My experience from customers has been that none of their current phone
> solutions worked with power loss so they dont care (not enough to pay
> the extra).  Considering the prolification of mobile phones for
> emergancy calls during power outages I would agree.

Man, you must have nice and quiet customers.

During a large power outage not too long ago (the first one in many years)
our primary network connectivity went down after a while but the E1 isdn
phone line was working the whole time.

Peter