[Asterisk-Users] Shared line appearances

Paul Rodan asterisk at glitch.cc
Fri Nov 19 10:44:20 MST 2004

I don't think the nature of these phones would allow for such a thing. It
was designed for transfers and such, to be a real PBX, not like having 4
phone lines from BellSouth and multiple 4 line phones.

I couldn't imagine SER/Asterisk/any SIP proxy or program doing what is
needed.

The only idea I had to get asterisk to do it would be have the calling party
thrown into a conference room right away, and then have it ring all the
other phones. Whoever answers it would then be put into the conference room
with the calling party.  But I think the trick is, whenever a person calls
in, they get thrown put into a conference room, and then the PolyCom's all
have to auto-answer and place the calls on silent hold, so that everybody is
thrown into the conference room. That shouldn't be TOO hard to rig, but how
do you get all the phones to ring as well until somebody picks up, so that
there is at least 1 active person in the conference with the calling party.
Then any other phone should be able to bust in simply by taking that line
off of hold.

Good luck with that :-)

  _____