[Asterisk-Users] Shared line appearances

David Gomillion dgomillion at eyecarenow.com
Fri Nov 19 10:18:53 MST 2004

All right.  It would appear that I am not the only one interested in
shared line appearances.  Many others have stated that they wish for the
key-system-like feature of the blinking lights.  Quite frankly, I don't
think it's a good thing, but the people who use these systems are very
resistant to change.  I set up call queues, pickup groups, 1-touch
transfers, and still nothing seems to placate them.  If I could, I would
just replace the users...

I mainly use Polycom SoundPoint IP phones: some 300s and some 600s.
Bottom line is that if I am going to be able to finish the rollout of
the phone system, and switch away from having 2 PBXs vying for power
(Asterisk and the Nortel NorStar MICS system), I am going to have to get
this feature working.  I have received authorization to offer a bounty
to get it working in Asterisk, and to then contribute the source to the
project.

As I have studied the issue, I'm not sure it is within the "master plan"
for asterisk.  Searching the archives, it seems we only expect Asterisk
to be a "clever UA".  The people asking were advised to get a real SIP
proxy.  In passing, someone asked if chan_sip2 would support it, but I
found no response.

Many references to SER have been made.  I have installed SER
successfully.  I then tried to make the feature work, but have been
unsuccessful.  Both lines will ring, but the first person to answer the
call gets it, and the other phone's lights are as dark as can be.  SER
does not seem to do any better with "line-seize" than Asterisk.  At
least Asterisk has the hint to allow the lights to work (I have not yet
implemented this, but since it does not meet the requirements, it does
not really matter)... but neither system will allow the caller to press
the blinking light on a call that was placed on hold to answer it.

I am now looking at other SIP proxies.  I am in the process of
installing sipXpbx, which includes many different pieces of the Pingtel
sipExpress system that have been open-sourced.  I am not sure which
pieces I will need specifically, so I will install the whole shooting
match and see if the feature even works.  If it does, I'll remove
packages and try to reintegrate with Asterisk.

Has anyone gotten shared line appearances to work with Polycom
Soundpoint IP phones?  Not just blinking lights, but the whole shebang:
lights, pressing the button to seize the line, shared registrations,
etc.  Is it best to work with a 3rd party SIP proxy/router/whatever, or
should we pool resources and get the feature integrated into Asterisk
somehow?

Looking forward to your thoughts,
David Gomillion