[Asterisk-Users] DS3 PCI in asterisk

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Nov 18 14:26:57 MST 2004

Race Vanderdecken wrote:

> 	Why can't I convert the DS3 input to SIP Output, no transcoding,
> straight G.711, all in one box?

Yes, that is what you would want to do. Probably even better would be
DS-3 to IAX, and try to get trunking support for G.711 working to keep
down the IP overhead as well.

> 	Yes I know the bandwidth from a DS3 to SIP calls means I need 2
> DS3's worth of space back out the door.

Not a big deal; use a server with dual PCI-X busses, put the DS-3 card
on one and a GigE card on the other. You're still only pushing
120-150Mbps over the bus combined, which is not a problem at all.