[Asterisk-Users] DS3 PCI in asterisk

Jonathan Feally vulture at netvulture.com
Thu Nov 18 14:48:43 MST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Race Vanderdecken wrote:
>
>>     Why can't I convert the DS3 input to SIP Output, no transcoding,
>> straight G.711, all in one box?
>

> Yes, that is what you would want to do. Probably even better would be
> DS-3 to IAX, and try to get trunking support for G.711 working to keep
> down the IP overhead as well.
>
>>     Yes I know the bandwidth from a DS3 to SIP calls means I need 2
>> DS3's worth of space back out the door.
>

> Not a big deal; use a server with dual PCI-X busses, put the DS-3 card
> on one and a GigE card on the other. You're still only pushing
> 120-150Mbps over the bus combined, which is not a problem at all.

I was just about to say follow the IAXy model (Just a wee bit more
channels!) and make the box speak IAX instead of SIP/H.323. I also
suggest setting up this standalone DS3->IAX box to have each channel
assigned to a specifiy asterisk box. While an asterisk box may be able
to run 600+  channels at a time, other limitations come into play, such
as hard drive access for VM and other applications that run on the
machine either seperate from asterisk or as a module/AGI of asterisk in
which CPU and other resources can cause lag times, reducing the number
of channels that can be processed jitter free.

My 2 Cents
-Jon