[Asterisk-Users] no media for VM

Daniel Poulsen dpoulsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 15:30:45 MST 2004

I am having a strange problem with my asterisk server and i'm not
quite sure how to solve it.

We are using SER as our SIP registrar and proxy so all SIP devices are
registered with the SER and any call setup/routing is handled by the
SER.  Asterisk is currently only used for voicemail.  When I dial into
one of my DID lines, it rings for a specified number of seconds and if
nobody picks up hunts to voicemail (the asterisk server).  This all
works fine.  The problem I am having is when somebody dials in and the
SIP target is unavailable.

When the target is unavailable the SER immediately hunts for the next
target, which is usually asterisk.  All of the SIP transactions are
taking place and I can see the call hitting the Asterisk server from
the console.  Everything looks normal, but there is no audio.  We have
another voicemail system (pingtel eXchange) [which we are trying to
get away from] and this seems to work fine with the Pingtel so I can
only think that I am missing something in my Asterisk configs.  This
happens whether I am dialing in from the PSTN or 100% within our VoIP
system.  My guess is that it works with the Pingtel system because we
have it set up to use the jasomi as its outbound proxy, but I'm not
sure how to tell asterisk to do this.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

We are using:
Asterisk 1.0.0
Jasomi PPT for Nat traversal
SER 0.8.14

Thank you very very much for your input.

Dan