[Asterisk-Users] How to emulate a multiline phone in Asterisk

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Tue Nov 16 01:19:50 MST 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Jim Dossey wrote:

> I have a client who currently has a Toshiba PBX.  We are trying to
> replace it with an Asterisk system.  One of the features that they have
> on their current PBX is the ability to select a POTS line by pressing a
> button on their phones.  They have 10 POTS lines and they can select any
> line by just pressing the corresponding button on their phone.  They can
> also join an existing call by just picking up the handset and pressing
> the button for the call they want to join.  This isn't like a conference
> call because you have one outside line coming in and 2 or more people
> inside the office on that call.

This is commonly referred to as a "key system". Asterisk is not terribly
well suited as a key system since it is a pbx. The difference is
(leaving out all the subtleties) that a key system is based on the concept
of pstn lines while the pbx is based on the concept of extensions. Even
the whole pstn cloud can be thought of as extensions.

You could possibly make something similar if you really _really_ want to
using agi scripts and redirects through the manager port to a meetme
conference. Before going down that road I suggest you first consider if
your client is best served by this solution or if it is just an artifact
of their old system.

Peter