[Asterisk-Users] How to emulate a multiline phone in Asterisk

Jim Dossey jdossey at att.net
Mon Nov 15 21:31:40 MST 2004

I have a client who currently has a Toshiba PBX.  We are trying to
replace it with an Asterisk system.  One of the features that they have
on their current PBX is the ability to select a POTS line by pressing a
button on their phones.  They have 10 POTS lines and they can select any
line by just pressing the corresponding button on their phone.  They can
also join an existing call by just picking up the handset and pressing
the button for the call they want to join.  This isn't like a conference
call because you have one outside line coming in and 2 or more people
inside the office on that call.

I've looked through documentation and searched the Wiki, but I can't
find a way to do that in Asterisk?  I could let them select a POTS line
by setting up an extension on each of their 10 lines, and letting them
dial that extension.  But can you do that when someone else is already
on a call on that line?

Also, related to that question: Are there any SIP phones out there that
have 10 programmable buttons that could be programmed to select one of
their 10 POTS lines - so they don't have to dial the extension number or
some key sequence like "*99"?

TIA

Sorry if this has been discussed before.  I'm fairly new to Asterisk.