[Asterisk-Users] How to emulate a multiline phone in Asterisk

Tim Robinson timweb at txrx.org.uk
Tue Nov 16 01:31:56 MST 2004

There are a lot of functions that we have on our PBX that are not well
supported at the moment by Asterisk.  Specifically the Busy Lamp
Field/button concept.  We have a large MD110 pbx that does this very well.

It is essential when trying to deploy Asterisk even in a small office
environment that users do not see their old posh phone with lots of
buttons and LEDs being replaced with a POTS handset!

An attempt to support 'BLF' is done on Asterisk by use of
Subscribe/notify SIP feature with the 'Hint' command in the dialplan.
It works well, but the only SIP phone that I know supports the
subscribe/Notify feature of Asterisk (i.e. the busy lamp field) is the
SNOM range.

  For what you are doing this might be a solution. I am still waiting
for the low-cost (sub-$100) SIP or IAX phone that supports the BLF concept.

But the ability to pick up any specific POTS line is not really viable
on Asterisk, especially on a PRI or BRI circuit - it is more customary
to park the call or to drop the call into a conference room on the PBX.
  Both are possible with Asterisk.

Rgds
Tim