[Asterisk-Users] Polycom 500 software?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sun Nov 14 19:23:50 MST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Rich Adamson wrote:

> > That's not right.
> > New phones come loaded with the current relevant firmware.
> > Upgraded f/w is only available to/from certified resellers.
> > Or look on the wiki for where it is freely available.
>
> The two new 500's that were purchased from a Polycom reseller
> actually came with no firmware installed at all; only the
> bootloader (or whatever its called). Someone on this list pointed
> me to a souce for downloading the sip image, and now I've got the
> phone running, but it won't register with *.
>
> Not sure what the registration problem is as yet, but doing a
> sip debug indicates the registration failure. I double checked
> the Auth UserID and Password and they appear to be correct. Seems
> others on the list have had the same issue, but I've not found
> any responses resolving the problem as yet. Anyone have any
> suggestions?

I just purchased a pair of SoundPoint IP 300's for use with Asterisk. Came
with the SIP firmware loaded on it. Registered fine against Asterisk. I
was able to register my phone at Polycom's website and setup an account to
download firmware and manuals, but did not find the latest firmware there,
only an older release.

Found the firmware from a link on the Wiki. Loaded it, and it solved a
couple of minor bugs.

Phones work good. No major issues. However, I'm a little pissed that
Polycom advertises the phones as supporting Power Over Ethernet, when in
fact the phone has no POE chipset in it. You need to purchase an
additional $40 cable if you want to plug it into a POE setup.

                             KP-216-121-ST