[Asterisk-Users] New bounty for voicemail outcall notification- add $$ if interested

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Sun Nov 7 22:00:43 MST 2004

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+bounty+outcall+notification+appli
> > cation
> >
> > Starting at $500 from me, if you have interest in the application
please
> > add to the bounty and lets get this application written!
>
> This is not a real application, but this is how I do voicemail
outcall:

> http://www.fnords.org/~eric/asterisk/downloads/abandoned-stuff
>
> look at the vmoutcall stuff.  With the external notify stuff added
> within the past year the scripting could be simplified.
>
>  From the readme:
>
> "vmoutcall" is a Perl script that works with Asterisk and your e-mail
> software to notify users that they have new voicemail via a telephone
> call.
>
> This README assumes you are using Postfix.  If you are using a
different
> e-mail server software you are on your own.  This script assumes you
are
> running the mail server software on the SAME SERVER as you are running
> Asterisk.

I have seen several other similar scripts, the problem I see is that
they only call one time after a preset delay, and if you get 3 messages
in 5 minutes while you are in a meeting the vibrating from your cell
phone in your pocket will drive you mad.

What I have proposed would only call you once per (configurable)
interval even if you get 50 messages during that interval.

Implementations of this feature on other PBX platforms I have worked
with also have a maximum retry count which is reset each time there is a
new message, this would complicate things a little with my requested
method of implementation because it would require storing the attributes
of the last message detected and incrementing of a counter, with a
counter reset event if the newest message date/time is not equal to the
newest message date/time from the previous interval. I am not sure that
the "maximum retry" is important enough to justify the additional work,
but it would make it more useful.