[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk, X-Lite, and * and # keys

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Wed Nov 10 09:21:10 MST 2004

Stanley Cline wrote:
> Has anyone else had issues with Asterisk rejecting calls from X-Lite
> softphones when the dialed number contains the * or # keys (e.g., dial #86 on
> X-Lite "keypad" and then press "send", and Asterisk rejects the call with a
> 404 error)?
>
> It turns out that X-Lite isn't sending the actual * and # characters, but is
> converting them to hex, and Asterisk doesn't like it:
>
> (X-Lite build 1103m, doesn't work)
> From: Cline W S Jr <sip:112 at pbx.dnw.roamer1.net>;tag=528200022
> To: <sip:%2386 at pbx.dnw.roamer1.net>
>          ^^^
> (Sipura SPA-2000 w/ firmware 2.0.10(e), works)
> From: Cline W S Jr <sip:111 at pbx.dnw.roamer1.net>;tag=a7b8c513a0ee55aco0
> To: <sip:#86 at pbx.dnw.roamer1.net>
>          ^
> (I'm running the most current stable build of Asterisk, obtained via CVS a few
> days ago.)
>
> Any suggestions on what to do here, short of not using the * and # keys in my
> dial plan?  ;)
>
> Thanks,
> -SC

Stanley,

	X-Lite uses some sequences at the beggining of calls to specify
different SIP accounts:

#1411 - Dials 411 with the first account
#2411 - Dials 411 with the second account

etc, etc, etc.
Any other numbers just use the default account.  This could be why you
are experiencing trouble.  Maybe you can "escape" the first pound sign,
but alas I know nothing about that!

--
Kristian Kielhofner