[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk, X-Lite, and * and # keys

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Wed Nov 10 08:55:33 MST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Stanley Cline wrote:

> Has anyone else had issues with Asterisk rejecting calls from X-Lite
> softphones when the dialed number contains the * or # keys (e.g., dial #86 on
> X-Lite "keypad" and then press "send", and Asterisk rejects the call with a
> 404 error)?
>
> It turns out that X-Lite isn't sending the actual * and # characters, but is
> converting them to hex, and Asterisk doesn't like it:
>
> (X-Lite build 1103m, doesn't work)
> From: Cline W S Jr <sip:112 at pbx.dnw.roamer1.net>;tag=528200022
> To: <sip:%2386 at pbx.dnw.roamer1.net>
>          ^^^
> (Sipura SPA-2000 w/ firmware 2.0.10(e), works)
> From: Cline W S Jr <sip:111 at pbx.dnw.roamer1.net>;tag=a7b8c513a0ee55aco0
> To: <sip:#86 at pbx.dnw.roamer1.net>
>          ^
> (I'm running the most current stable build of Asterisk, obtained via CVS a few
> days ago.)
>
> Any suggestions on what to do here, short of not using the * and # keys in my
> dial plan?  ;)

Asterisk "should" parse that input to look for embedded sequences like
this. The SIP URIs are intended to work similarly to HTTP URIs, and the
encoding of characters by the %xx method is part of that. Reminds me of
the problem somebody had a few months ago where their username assigned by
the SIP provider contained an '@' character. The person needed to register
using something like me at sipprovider@proxy.sipprovider.tld. I don't
remember how that one was resolved..

So.. I guess you could sift through the chan_sip.c code to see whether
Asterisk really is checking for these encodings. And then maybe you can
fix it. :)

Greg