[Asterisk-Users] Good ringing plans for small office

John Koyle john.koyle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 09:25:35 MST 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:11:42 -0500, Christopher TenHarmsel
<chris at atomicobject.com> wrote:
> At the place I work we're using Asterisk to run our in-office phone
> system.  We have about 15 employees and a total of about 5 hard phones.
> Right now when asterisk receives an incoming call, it rings all 5
> phones, because we don't really have a "receptionist".  I was wondering
> if anyone has had a similar situation and might be able to suggest some
> better approach to ringing the phones?  I don't really know what I have
> in mind, just kind of looking for what other people in similar
> situations might have done.

We have a similar environment.  I ring 3 phones, but I use a different
ring so the employees know it's an outside call and can answer it
accordingly.  From my extensions.conf:

exten => 0,2,Dial(${USER1}r2&${USER2}r2&${USER3}r2,20,Tt)

In addition, if nobody answers the call, it goes to a separate
"global" voicemail box that is set to email a notification to a
supervisor.

John