[Asterisk-Users] Good ringing plans for small office

Ryan Courtnage ryan-lists at voxbox.ca
Wed Nov 3 09:32:31 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-11 at 11:11 -0500, Christopher TenHarmsel wrote:
> At the place I work we're using Asterisk to run our in-office phone
> system.  We have about 15 employees and a total of about 5 hard phones.
> Right now when asterisk receives an incoming call, it rings all 5
> phones, because we don't really have a "receptionist".  I was wondering
> if anyone has had a similar situation and might be able to suggest some
> better approach to ringing the phones?  I don't really know what I have
> in mind, just kind of looking for what other people in similar
> situations might have done.

Have you considered using an auto-attendant to pick up all incoming
calls?

Another strategy is to ring the phones of those who normally answer
first, and then fail-over to the remaining phones if nobody picks up.
If nobody wants to answer the call at all, let the auto attendant take
care of it.

Have a look at the AMP project (http://amp.voxbox.ca).  It gives GUI to
configuring call handling strategies like these.  It might be a good fit
for your organization.

Cheers

--
Ryan Courtnage