[Asterisk-Users] Asterix-to-PBX

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Wed Nov 3 07:52:15 MST 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Sergiu Dunca wrote:

> We have a E1/digital PBX in the office for ISDN-PRA telecom access and
> for digital phones connected to it. So the PBX is E1 capable.
>
> I wander if we can use a E1 interface in the PBX and a Digium PCI card
> to interconnect the PBX with Asterix. Then we would like to configure
> the PBX and Asterix to assign to the digital normal telephones SIP ids
> and to use them by calling over SIP (ex. iptel.org).

I'm not quite sure which of the following scenarios you are after:

  pstn <--E1 Isdn--> Asterisk <--E1 Isdn--> PBX
or
  pstn <--E1 Isdn--> PBX <--E1 Isdn--> Asterisk

Actually, both should work fine. For the first case you need something
like a TE405P or TE410P card where you will use two of the four interface.
The setup will to a large extent be in Asterisk. For the second case you
will need a more capable PBX with two E1 interfaces and the configuration
changes will be split between the PBX and Asterisk.

For the first case Asterisk will be more or less transparent to the PBX.
For dial-in only sip access the setup will be easy. Make the incoming
calls on the two pri lines connect to the other pri line and connect the
incoming sip calls to the PBX E1.

If you want to use sip for outbound calls as well you will have to select
a way of deciding which calls are to be sent via sip and which are to be
sent via the isdn connection.

Peter