[Asterisk-Users] Best codec for faxes?

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Tue Nov 2 18:18:44 MST 2004

Steve Underwood wrote:
> Julio Arruda wrote:
>
>> Roger Schreiter wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> use G.711, and you'll have ISDN quality!
>>> Tradidional analog adaptors for ISDN do the same,
>>> and (analog) faxing over ISDN is working fine, isn't it?
>>

>> I would expect FAX over ISDN to work better than fax over G.711 on
>> some networks.
>> ISDN doesn't have the jitter/packet loss of IP networks (unless you
>> control the whole path or has some nice SLA :-)). The price being, is
>> a circuit switched technology.
>>
> Clue: G.711 is the codec used over ISDN :-)

Ok, now I understand why you mentioned that common codec, let me clarify
my remark (I can blame on english not being my native language I guess
:-)..,
'replace' fax over G.711 by fax over G.711 over IP :-)
The point being, Fax over VOIP (even using G.711), I don't believe would
be as reliable as Fax over an ISDN b-channel :-) Better now ?