[Asterisk-Users] Best codec for faxes?

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Tue Nov 2 18:04:16 MST 2004

Steve Underwood wrote:
> Julio Arruda wrote:
>
>> Roger Schreiter wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> use G.711, and you'll have ISDN quality!
>>> Tradidional analog adaptors for ISDN do the same,
>>> and (analog) faxing over ISDN is working fine, isn't it?
>>

>> I would expect FAX over ISDN to work better than fax over G.711 on
>> some networks.
>> ISDN doesn't have the jitter/packet loss of IP networks (unless you
>> control the whole path or has some nice SLA :-)). The price being, is
>> a circuit switched technology.
>>
> Clue: G.711 is the codec used over ISDN :-)

I understand a voice switched PCM channel/DS0 is G.711 and this also is
the b-channel 'unrestricted 64k' ISDN circuit.
What I'm saying is, with ISDN, you have a end-to-end circuit switched
channel, with very low delay and jitter, with g.711 over VOIP, you have
at least the additional sampling time (20ms ?), jitter buffers, variable
delays in the routers in the path (queueing related).