[Asterisk-Users] Best codec for faxes?

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Tue Nov 2 18:52:32 MST 2004

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 08:18 pm, Julio Arruda wrote:
> Steve Underwood wrote:

> 'replace' fax over G.711 by fax over G.711 over IP :-)
> The point being, Fax over VOIP (even using G.711), I don't believe would
> be as reliable as Fax over an ISDN b-channel :-) Better now ?

You're totally right. The advantage of ISDN is lost, from a fax viewpoint,
largly because the unwieldly Internet don't care about lagging packets etc.

Point to point ISDN is a great dedicated circuit. But it ain't that no more
once you connect it to the Internet.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin