[Asterisk-Users] Re: How far is IAX to be a Standard

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Nov 2 09:18:29 MST 2004

Steve Totaro wrote:

> Sure I remember.  Up until a year ago I believe it was still being
> manufactured and supported by Sony.
>
> Their mistake was keeping proprietary.  A parallel cannot be drawn.
> If anything, you prove my point in that VHS was the underdog and won
> the battle.

That is often said, but JVC has been far more proprietary about VHS.
Have you seen the licencing rules? They basically say "anyone else's VHS
machine must be at least slightly crappier than ours". At its peak quite
a few people (e.g. Sanyo and NEC) made Beta machines. US people say the
same things about Sony and MD, but here in Asia practically every well
known Japanese brand sells MD players (though with the rise of MP3
players MD has faded in the last year or so).

Steve