[Asterisk-Users] Re: How far is IAX to be a Standard

Jim Van Meggelen jim at digitalchemy.ca
Tue Nov 2 00:38:17 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> [...]

Interesting point, but then we'd need to define "better".

Technically, Beta is considered to be superior. So much so that it
became very successful in the professional media industry. VHS went
consumer, Beta went pro.

The failure of Betamax in the consumer market is probably due to the VHS
consortium offering more choice to the consumer than Sony did with Beta.
So VHS was "better" by virtue of 1) lower price; 2) wider selection of

For IAX, success will be based on several factors:

Technical superiority
Price (i.e. how much does it cost to configure and maintain)
Compatibility (how many products support it).