[Asterisk-Users] Re: How far is IAX to be a Standard

Steve Totaro asterisk at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Nov 1 11:56:52 MST 2004

text from article

Sony's Betamax to be laid to rest
Tokyo
August 28 2002

Sony has closed the final chapter of its legendary battle to dominate the
home videotape machine market, announcing it would discontinue its Betamax
VCRs.

Sony will stop manufacturing Betamax machines at the end of this year as the
company refocuses its efforts on new technologies dominating the market,
Sony spokeswoman Shoko Yanagizawa said yesterday.

The announcement marks the end of a 27-year run, during which the fabled
brand sold 18 million units worldwide in a race against archrival Victor's
VHS to set the video format standard.

Betamax was first to the market, hitting stores in 1975, and peaked with
global sales of 2.3 million units in 1984.

But the decision not to share its technology with rival companies proved to
be Sony's fatal mistake.

In a classic case of the underdog winning the race, Victor's VHS - short for
Video Home System - had clearly won the battle by the mid-80s.

The technology, used now in millions of video recorders around the world, is
Victor's.

Yanagizawa said the decision pointed to a new era of digital video discs, or
DVDs, and other advanced digital technologies that were making the video
cassette obsolete.

Even VHS hasn't been enough for Victor.

The company lost money two of the last three fiscal years and is forecasting
losses for the year that ended March 31.