[Asterisk-Users] generate dial tone

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri May 28 05:24:21 MST 2004

Michael George [george at auroravideosys.com] wrote:
> I did take a quick look at it, but the header indicated that DISA
> allows incoming calls to dial back out.  I am just trying to emulate
> the feel of our current PBX which will just connect us to an outgoing
> line (with a dialtone) when we hit 9. (Though I don't want asterisk to
> mimic that behavior because I want to be judicious about which outgoing
> channels are used depending on the number dialed.)

I can't say that I fully understand the difference between the two
cases you outlined above, but if DISA is not right for you then that's
fine;  That would probably explain why everyone else was suggesting
"ignorepat" and the like.

> Am I mistaken on the use of DISA?

If you call DISA(no-password,your-context-name) then it'll present a
dial tone (with no password prompted for) and allow the user to dial
numbers accessible from the specified context.  Obviously, you'd have
to be very careful to not allow anonymous incoming callers to dial '9'
and then dial anything they like.  I don't know how you plan to handle
that case.  DISA will prompt the user for a PIN unless you use the
"no-password" keyword, so that'll go some way toward the security of
your system.

The named context, passed as an argument to DISA, would seem to satisfy
your "I want to be judicious about which outgoing channels are used
depending on the number dialled" requirement.

All I can suggest is that you try it on a closed system and see if it
does what you need.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz