[Asterisk-Users] Holding and call parking idiosyncrasies...

Michael George george at auroravideosys.com
Thu May 27 13:01:00 MST 2004

We are going to replace a BizFone with Asterisk and one of the features
that I haven't been able to emulate is the PBX hold.  We can put a call
into hold with the * key and every 30 sec the phone gets a beep to
remind us it is there and the caller on hold can hit # for other
options.

The closest I've come with Asterisk is call parking, and that doesn't
quite do it.  Using the standard include => parkedcalls (with digium
FXS cards) I get different behavior depending on whether the calling or
called extension does the parking.

If the called extension parks the call, it will be parked and when the
timeout expires the original extension will be run (for pickup or
voicemail).

If the calling extension parks the call, the call will go to the
parking spot just fine but when the timer expires we get:

Channel Zap/2-1 sent into invalid extension 's' in context 'default',
but no invalid handler

There is nothing in the parking docs that discusses needing a default
context for the call to return to.  I can create a context with that
name, but I'm not sure what it should do...  I don't know if there's a
way to extract the original extension and have it called in the default
context.

Is there more information on this somewhere?

-Michael