[Asterisk-Users] e164.org

Duane digium at aus-biz.com
Sun May 23 03:16:15 MST 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

Yes, same Duane as CAcert.org...

> So eg. if I've registered 3 different sip providers and an IAX provider,
> plus a couple of landlines what
> is it doing?  I guess I'm missing the point somewhere.

The point is as simple or as complex as you like it to be. You can
configure things to have only a single voip URL reference, then anyone
that dials your pstn numbers will be directed to that voip server, or in
the case of businesses that want to list every method that they can be
contacted by such as email, instant messaging they can, and at some
stage in the future if fax machines get smart enough and their is an
enum record on the number you're faxing they could email the fax instead
of faxing it.

> The way I understand it is you pass it a phone number and it gives you a
> prefferred route to that number, which may be VOIP and may be POTS or
> from the looks of it MSN and lots of other things (including ldap???!!).

LDAP records are actually listed in the RFC and given as an example.

> You then pass that result straight into a Dial command, which means it
> could potentially do absolutely anything, including call the chinese
> speaking clock at peak rate.

If there is an IAX2 or SIP or H323 NAPTR record in DNS, this increments
the dial plan by +1, if it's a TEL (i.e. the talking clock in china) it
increments by +51, and increments by +101 if it fails, so unless you
tell it to dial the number at +51 it won't use any TEL fields from DNS
so this can't happen unless you specificly allow it to.

Flip side is we're trying to do an app_dialenum to actually better
implement enum lookups and dialling, if it hits a tel field the plan is
to get it to read out the number and prompt the user to press 1 to skip
and try another record or fail to pstn, or press 2 to use the tel number.

--
Best regards,
  Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!