[Asterisk-Users] Dynamic SIP.CONF

Fran Boon flavour at partyvibe.com
Sat May 22 11:20:05 MST 2004

Brian Cuthie wrote:
> So I've been kind of struggling with the notion of making my Asterisk
> implementations dynamic, too. While I'd like to make everything directly
> database driven, I'm not sure Asterisk is quite there yet.
> I've been thinking of writing something that creates appropriate
> configuration files from the database on a periodic basis, and then does
> an Asterisk reload. This would introduce a small delay into
> configuration changes, but it does have other benefits such as
> decoupling the design of the database from Asterisk.
> Any thoughts?

This is exactly what I do - works very well so far :)
I guess that it will reach scalability limits at some stage...but so
far, so good...

I write out:
users-sip.conf
users-iax.conf
users-voicemail.conf
mapping.conf	(username-> extension)

These are #included into the main files.

I restart Asterisk via the manager port, since 'asterisk -r -x reload'
doesn't return properly & the web UI 'sticks' horribly otherwise.

I complement this by using ODBCGet in the dialplan.
(Previously I #included dnd.conf, calldiversion.conf to achieve this
functionality)