[Asterisk-Users] My TDM-400P FXO experience

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Tue May 18 17:50:42 MST 2004

A bit about my experience with the TDM-04 FXO. Only saw a few post on
this subject, thought I would contribute a little about my experience to
save others the hassle.

a. As an earlier poster noted, the driver for the FXO is in the wcfxs
module. Perhaps it should be renamed to something less confusing.
b. You need the zaptel,zapata libraries from the cvs, the ones with
Asterisk 0.7.2 won't work.
c. As the other poster noted, the card doesn't use any IRQ. I'm a little
concerned about this, does it mean it's polling all the time?
d. It'll work with Asterisk 0.7.2, just compile the new zaptel and
zapata from cvs. Mine ran without having to recompile my old stable
asterisk.
e. Red-alarm doesn't seem to be detected at all. With the X101P,
unplugging the line will trigger a red-alarm, not so with the FXO
modules. All 4 LEDs on my TDM400 are always up. And zttool also shows
everything as OK.
f. Be careful about the zap channel naming. With the old XP101, the
first channel (card) is Zap/1 and the second Zap/2. With the TDM, it's
Zap/1-1, Zap/2-1 ... Zap/4-1 for the 4 ports on the first card and
Zap/1-2 ... Zap/4-2 for the second card. You might need to update your
dial plan.
g. The card takes 12V power - I think a lot of it. Be careful about
sharing with another device using 12V power (3.5" HDD and CD-ROM). My
system uses 5V 2.5" HDD, so all the 12V power goes to the TDM.

For those who are curious, my setup:
- Mini-ITX Cl0000 mobo with Via 1GHz Nehemiah CPU
- 256MB DDR SDRAM
- 2 x 2.5" HDD in RAID-1 configuration
- 2 x TDM04B (for a total of 8 FXO module)
- Trustix 2.0 with kernel 2.4.26
- Travla C137 Mini-ITX casing with 90W PSU.

FYI.