[Asterisk-Users] Dell server for asterisk question!

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed May 12 14:56:12 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 16:35, Bartosz Jozwiak wrote:
> Thanks very much for your reply.
> Well this system is going to work in HOTEL enviroment.
> So still doual Xeon 2.8 Ghz for two TE405P is not enough ?
> yes i could not find any information on Dell's site too. Even could not
> find any sales' e-mail address :(
> So what do you suggest for HOTEL enviroment ? Still I should use two separate
> asterisk servers for each card ?

Assuming you are meaning stock normal telephony and no VoIP on a HOTEL
environment, you might be just fine as you will just be doing native
brides most of the time.

What size HOTELs are you planning on rolling out to? 2 TE405P cards gets
you 192 channels using T1 or 240 channels under E1. I'm not sure I have
seen hotels that have much over a quarter of the phone lines per
extensions. So my guess is that the majority of the time the channels
sit idle. At that case, you are probably well within what you need to
get this done.

What you may consider for wiring needs is to put a server near each
wiring closet and link back to a central machine with IAX2. Think about
a hotel that has a couple of buildings that are close, but not
connected. This allows you to put a server in each building and only run
a data connection back to a centralized PSTN gateway.

There are many options, and I think you may learn that you want to spec
each job out individually then build for it.