[Asterisk-Users] Dell server for asterisk question!

Bartosz Jozwiak bartek at cq-link.sr
Wed May 12 15:08:58 MST 2004

Quoting Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>:

> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 16:35, Bartosz Jozwiak wrote:
> > Thanks very much for your reply.
> > Well this system is going to work in HOTEL enviroment.
> > So still doual Xeon 2.8 Ghz for two TE405P is not enough ?
> > yes i could not find any information on Dell's site too. Even could not
> > find any sales' e-mail address :(
> > So what do you suggest for HOTEL enviroment ? Still I should use two
> separate
> > asterisk servers for each card ?
>
> Assuming you are meaning stock normal telephony and no VoIP on a HOTEL
> environment, you might be just fine as you will just be doing native
> brides most of the time.
>
> What size HOTELs are you planning on rolling out to? 2 TE405P cards gets
> you 192 channels using T1 or 240 channels under E1. I'm not sure I have
> seen hotels that have much over a quarter of the phone lines per
> extensions. So my guess is that the majority of the time the channels
> sit idle. At that case, you are probably well within what you need to
> get this done.

That Hotel need about 96 extensions. I will use 4 channel banks and connect them
with T1 and I will use 3 E1 lines for connection to TelcoProvider.
I will create also about 5 extensions for SIP IP PHONES.

So I am happy to hear that Dell 2650 with dual 2.8Ghz processor will handle it.
Of course I would like to run some small IVR system with AutoAttendent.

> What you may consider for wiring needs is to put a server near each
> wiring closet and link back to a central machine with IAX2. Think about
> a hotel that has a couple of buildings that are close, but not
> connected. This allows you to put a server in each building and only run
> a data connection back to a centralized PSTN gateway.
>
> There are many options, and I think you may learn that you want to spec
> each job out individually then build for it.
> --
> Steven Critchfield  <critch at basesys.com>

Thanks for your help.