[Asterisk-Users] quad fxo

Michael Sandee ms at zeelandnet.nl
Mon May 3 13:08:44 MST 2004

Steven Critchfield wrote:

>Remember stable refers to change levels, not stability of software.
>Think of it like this, you could have a piece of software that fell over
>dead every time the wind blew, but it would be considered a stable
>version if it didn't change very often over time. Specifically, Todays
>version of stable shouldn't really change unless there is a REALLY good
>reason. Even then, the changes are usually part of a security add-on and
>not part of the main stable release. Changing the PDI ID database could
>potentially break something else that expected that card to slightly
>misrepresent.

Agreed, debian is consistent in their approach.

>All of it is erring on the side of super caution. If you want to ride
>the cutting edge, you can choose the other versions. The choice is how
>much blood are you willing to lose as you ride the cutting edge. The
>closer you go, the more likely a upgrade will break something you hold
>critical.

Agreed. The problem I personally have with Debian is the two extremes
(Stable/Unstable). Which is why I have changed my preference to some
other non-profit distro. And I am not alone in this or I would not bring
it up...

>>I seriously advice against that... vividly remebering the NPTL debacle
>>in unstable... and loads of other glibc problems you can read about in
>>the bugtracker.
>>

>I haven't seen any NPTL stuff in debian. My laptop is fairly regularly
>synced with unstable, and the same goes for my home machine. My laptop
>is very stable while my home machine, well I'm still sorting out a
>hardware problem that makes it crash(hard lock, no console messages)
>with heavy network or disk activity.

I am happy I did not encounter it myself, I never use unstable myself. I
think it was around 6 months ago (I could be way off), some updates in
unstable broke "everything". (These things don't happen often... but I
can imagine if they do happen...). The other problems I indicated are
Debian specific glibc problems which conflict with non-standard
kernels... They were reported for a long time, but not fixed.

>>While we are at the subject anyway I can put some on-topic info here
>>aswell. Recent benchmarks with 6 QuadBRI's on a Pentium-4 2.8Ghz
>>resulted in a almost 100% improvement in load under Linux 2.6(.4) over
>>Linux 2.4(.25). This ofcourse resulted in less (no) quirks in the sound
>>under 2.6 than under 2.4.
>>The loadtest was done looping the BRI's to each other and in such way
>>that we used all 24 BRI's (2 channels) resulting in 48 active channels.
>>
>>http://voidptr.astmaster.org/loadtest1.jpg
>>http://voidptr.astmaster.org/loadtest2.jpg
>>
>>The audio quality was easily monitored in contrary to often proposed
>>"test suites"... Two phones at each end...
>>

>Now when will they be able to work in the US, and what is the pricing
>for the cards?
>
>Truly impressed.

I was aswell. I am currently running a system with these cards in
production and it is performing excellent, both NT P2MP and TE P2P/P2MP.
All I know is that these cards do not yet work in the US. I wonder
myself how big the market in the US is for BRI? I was under the
impression it was extremely expensive, and therefor not really interesting.

Regards